Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

Tom from T&R suggested the engine be rebuilt. He's concerned about damage to the seals, main bearing, etc. At the pricetag he gave me ($2,500) that's not a decision to be made lightly. The most obvious issue is oil pressure problems - and Tom even mentioned he noticed it too. When the car heats up to operating temperatures, the idiot light doesn't just flicker vaguely, it becomes more prevalent. Makes me concerned to take it even as far as Des Moines right now.

The day after I brought it home I drove it on gravel and took my mother-in-law for a ride. She didn't even bat an eyelash when I did a donut to whip the car around at a T-intersection. Beats a 5-point turn in that old sled.

The steering is tight, but it's something to get used to that amount of movement needed to turn the wheels - I find I rather enjoy whipping the wheel around. The alignment appears solid.

Suspension is another thing. I think the shocks need replacement soon. A good wind has the body rocking at highway speeds. Should I lower the springs a coil at the same time? I'm thinking about it. I don't feel comfortable right now driving (sailing?) it at high speeds. And I wouldn't know how fast I was going, since the speedometer isn't functioning currently. Or the gas gauge. The latter is not a big deal, since it seems unable to pass a gas station anyway.

It needs new tires (function) and wheels (aesthetics), but those will definitely have to wait until I know the engine and other critical functions are in good working shape. Unless I blow a tire, of course. I remember on my '66 LTD blowing two tires in a single day (and not at the same time). Of course that was back when car maintenance was entirely reactive - I was a poor starving college student then.

The heater core definitely needs replaced. When I turn on the heat and fan, I smell fresh antifreeze.

But on my last drive with Kelton to his boy scout troop meeting, I got compliments in the parking lot and the gas station. At the latter, a kid driving a jacked-up Chevy truck smiled and yelled "What is that?" and before I could say anything, Kelton yelled back, "It's the Galaxie!"

People love old cars. And I love my Galaxie - it's my own piece of vintage Americana.

No comments: